Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Beginning....

About thirty years ago I had a couple of friends from work who were very keen to do a patchwork class, which would eventually result in a sampler quilt. I was hesitant to say the least. Perhaps a couple of cushions would be the order of the day, but definitely not a quilt! I reluctantly signed up, only to find that the method we would using was traditional English piecing where a machine stitch was sacrilege! What had I got myself into?
However as the weeks went by I ended up with nine patches, hand-pieced together, with wadding and backing in tact ready to hand quilt. Three months later I had produced my first quilt. Who would have thought it! Definitely not me.
I produced various smaller projects over the years however it wasn't until about seven years ago that I was inspired again to make another quilt - by hand! A friend from work had made some gorgeous quilts, mostly by hand and I decided to make the time to do another one. Success! Then twelve months ago four of us decided to meet regularly and quilt - whatever we had on the go - and we haven'ty looked back. Great friends....great chats....fun excursions to fabric shops and quilt shows....inspiring projects! And so the journey continues......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Out of the Desert

Out of the Desert
Lap quilt - hand pieced and quilted